Xin Liu (刘昕, born in 1991) is a media artist, engineer and researcher.
Mixing scientific research with personal narratives, she creates transformative, participatory experiences and bodily objects to examine the constitution of subjectivity and affects. Conventionally trained as an engineer, she claims technology as her native language and craft in art practice. In the midst of the paradigm shift between technology and humanity, she tries to weave new connections for active participation. The goal is to reconfigure the tools of technology, not for exploitation but for the recovery of human feelings, affects and emotions; not for hegemonic control of life but for the discovery of a bottom-up evolution through subjective experience.
Xin has shown her work internationally at events and venues including Boston Museum of Fine Art (2016\2017), Sundance Film Festival (2017), The Walker Art Center (2017), OCAT Shanghai (2015), Minsheng Contemporary Art Museum (2017), Eyebeam (2015), International Symposium on Electronic Art (2013\2016\2017), Music Tech Festival Berlin (2016) and The New Spotlight in International Design Week (2012). As an HCI researcher, Xin has worked in institutions including Microsoft Research NYC, Microsoft Research Asia, Google ATAP, TASML and presented her research at international conferences including UIST, UbiComp, TEI, DIS and Augmented Human.
Xin is currently a research assistant in Fluid Interface Group, MIT Media Lab.
• MIT Media Lab, Fluid Interfaces Group, Master of Media Arts and Sciences
• Rhode Island School of Design, Master of Fine Arts
• Tsinghua University, Precision Instrument and Mechanical Engineering, Bachelor of Engineering
• Tsinghua University, Digital Entertainment Design, Bachelor of Arts — dual degree
SELECTED EXHIBITIONS AND EVENTS
(Upcoming) Global Grab Show – Dubai Design Week, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
(Upcoming) Ars Electroica Festival – POSTCITY Linz, Austria
(Upcoming) Lab Exhibition – Chronus Art Center, Shanghai, China
(Upcoming) Web Biennial 2017 – online & Istanbul Contemporary Art Museum, Turkey
Speaker at Eyeo Festival – The Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, MN
Annual of Contemporary Art of China 2016 – Minsheng Contemporary Art Museum, Beijing, China
Artist Talk- 23rd International Symposium on Electronic Art and XVI International Image Festival (Joint Schedule), Colombia
Wearable Technology in Fashion Film Screening – ASVOFF9, Sofia, Bulgaria
Virtual Arcade – Tribeca Film Festival, Manhattan, NY
New Frontier – Sundance Film Festival, Park City, Utah
Art Scholar show — Wiesner Gallery in MIT, Cambridge, MA
AEDA “Cognitive Immersion”– Taipei Economic & Cultural Office, Manhattan, NY
mfaNOW Overnight: College Edition/Last Call — Boston Museum of Fine Art, Boston, MA
Demo Session — UIST 2016, Tokyo, Japan
Technology + Fashion: Projects for Tomorrow and Today Panel Discussion — Boston Museum of Fine Art, Boston, MA
Skrin Performance with Viktoria Modesta — Music Tech Festival, Berlin, Germany
Tear Series — International Symposium on Electronic Art, Hong Kong, China
The Ballad of Generation Y — OCT Contemporary Art Terminal, Shanghai, China
10th anniversary of Information Design —- Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Body as Interface with Xin LIU —- Eyebeam, Manhattan, NY
The Energy Propagated —- International Symposium on Electronic Art, Toronto, Canada
It’s Never As It Seems —- Flux Factory, Long Island City, NY
RISD Grad Graduation Exhibition —- Convention Center, Providence, RI
Artist Talk — New England Graduate Media Symposium, Boston, MA
Body + Internet Curation—- Exposé, Providence RI & Industry Lab, Boston, MA
Synthetic Zero Event —- BronxArtSpace, Bronx, NY
8th International TEI Conference —- LMU, Munich Germany
Human + Computer —- Exposé, Providence RI
All That Glitters Is Not LEDs —- Sol Koffler Gallery, Providence RI
Exhibition of Undergraduate College Artwork —- Beijing, China
Beijing Fashion Design Week —- Beijing, China
The New Spotlight in International Design Week — Shenzhen, China
Forbes – Epic Virtual Reality Experiences at Tribeca Film Festival Through April 30th
Wired Italy – TreeSense, la realtà virtuale per trasformarsi in un albero
Fast Co Design – Escape From The Horror Of 2017 By Becoming A Tree
The New York Times – At Sundance, the Theme Is Climate Change
Motherboard VICE – Wave Emojis at Your Friends with Velcro LEDs
Wired Germany – Hinter den Kulissen von Viktoria Modestas transhumaner Bühnenshow
The Art Newspaper Issue 41 – 艺术与科技之间，谁在探索未来，谁在下达指令？
CAFA Art Info – “The Ballad of Generation Y”
Adafruit –Turn Your Body Into an Interface Using Conductive Ink
SinoVision TV channel – Xin LIU: Art Through Technology
RISD Media – Positively Mesmerizing
Vision Magazine – 2015 Spring Issue
Our RISD — Tech-forward Design
Scientific American — Exploring “Transhumanism”
CCTV10 — The Light of Technology < Wearing Technology>
2017 Pioneer Works Residency
2016 Industry Lab Artist in Residency
2015 Wagon Station Encampment organized by Andrea Zittel
Core 77 Interaction Design Award, Student Runner Up (Second Price)
MIT Art Council Grant 2016-2017
Best Paper Award, Augmented Human Conference 2015
RISD scholarship and fellowship 2013-2015
RISD grad student conference fund 2014
Distinguished overseas student from Xinjiang, nominated by the Chinese consulate in New York 2014
Research Intern, Fuse Lab, Microsoft Research NYC 2015
Research Intern, Project Jacquard, Google ATAP 2014
Research Intern, HCI Group, Microsoft Research Asia 2013
Research Assistant, Tsinghua Art and Science Media Laboratory 2012
Dance Instructor, with Michelle R. Bach-Coulibaly, Brown University 2015
Instructor, Body + Internet, MIT+RISD+Brown 2015
Instructor, Paranoid East, RISD 2015
Teaching Assistant, Next Generation of Wearables with Soojun Ham and Sara Hendren, RISD 2014
• Katia Vega, Nan Jiang, Xin LIU, Viirj Kan, Nicolas Barry, Ali Yetisen, Pattie Maes and Joe Paradiso. “The Dermal Abyss: Interfacing with the Skin by Tattooing Biosensors” In Proceedings of the 2017 ACM International Symposium on Wearable Computers. ACM, 2017. (to appear)
• Sang-won Leigh, Harpreet Sareen, Hsin-Liu (Cindy) Kao, Xin Liu, Pattie Maes. “Body-Borne Computers as Extensions of Self” Computers, 2017, vol. 6, no 1, p. 12.
• Xin Liu, Katia Vega, Jing Qian, Joe Paradiso, Pattie Maes. “Fluxa: Body movements as a social display” Proceedings of the adjunct publication of the 29th annual ACM symposium on User interface software and technology. ACM, UIST 2016.
• Joe Paradiso, Chris Schmandt, Katia Vega, Cindy Hsin-Liu Kao, Rébecca Kleinberger, Xin Liu, Jie Qi, Asta Roseway, Ali K. Yetisen, Jürgen Steimle, Martin Weigel. “UnderWare: Aesthetic, Expressive, and Functional On-Skin Technologies” International Workshop at the 2016 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing
• Xin Liu, Kati London. “T.A.I: A Tangible AI Interface to Enhance Human-Artificial Intelligence (AI) Communication Beyond the Screen.” In Proceedings of the 2016 companion publication on Designing interactive systems. ACM, DIS 2016.
• Xin Liu, Katia Vega, Pattie Maes, Joe A.Paradiso. “Wearability Factors for Skin Interfaces” BEST PAPER AWARD Proceedings of the 7th Augmented Human International Conference. ACM, AH 2016.
• Xin Liu, and Jiawei Gu. “FlexStroke: a flexible, deformable brush-tip with dynamic stiffness for digital input.” Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Tangible, Embedded and Embodied Interaction. ACM, TEI 2014.
• Xin Liu, Haijun Xia, and Jiawei Gu. “FlexStroke: a jamming brush tip simulating multiple painting tools on digital platform.” Proceedings of the adjunct publication of the 26th annual ACM symposium on User interface software and technology. ACM, UIST 2013.